All is well for me and my project. I finished the merge of
cStringIO and StringIO, and I am now moving to the more challenging
cPickle/pickle merge. During the last two weeks, I mostly spend my
time analyzing the
pickle module and thinking how I will clean up
cPickle. My current plan is:
- Make cPickle’s source code conform to PEP-7.
- Remove the dependency on the now obsolete cStringIO.
- Benchmark cPickle and pickle.
- Add subclassing support to Pickler/Unpickler.
- Reduce the size of cPickle’s source code based on the bottlenecks found by the benchmarks.
Hopefully, cPickle/pickle merge will be as smooth (and as fun) as the cStringIO/StringIO merge.